We all know that a major earthquake rocked Iran 4 days ago. The tremors were felt as far as New Delhi and Pakistan and in the UAE among other places.
For the first time in my life I felt the tremors. As if someone was wildly shaking my chair. When I came home my wife said everything at our residence at the 11th floor was shaking!
The immediate thought everyone got was ‘Zalzalah, Zalzalah’! It was so scary. Allaahu Akbar!
Zalzalah, Arabic word for earthquake, comes from the quadrilateral root Zay, laam, Zay, laam ز ل ز ل ZalZal.
Isn’t the sound z-a-l z-a-l itself sounding horrific? Uttering the word Zal-Zal sends shivers down the spine!
1. First and foremost, we need to pray for the people who die in such natural calamities and also pray for the safety and well being of the people who get injured and are frightened due to earthquakes.
2. The earthquakes and other signs in this universe are a lesson for the believers. Allah frightens His slaves with such occurrences so that a Muslim should take heed and repent, and fear that what happened to others could have happened to him because of his sins.
3. It is authentically reported that the Rightly-Guided Caliph, Ameer-ul-Mu’minin (Commander of the Believers),`Umar ibn `Abdul-’Aziz (may Allah be merciful to him), when there was an earthquake during his era, wrote to his agents in different countries and ordered them to tell the Muslims to make Tawbah to Allah, humble themselves to Him, and seek His Forgiveness for their sins.
4. The happening of many earthquakes is among the minor signs of the Day of Judgement. The Prophet Muhammad, sal-lal-laahu-alaihi-wa-sallam, said: “The Hour (Last Day) will not be established until (religious) knowledge will be taken away (by the death of religious learned men), earthquakes will be very frequent, time will pass quickly, afflictions will appear, murders will increase and money will overflow amongst you.” Sahih al Bukhaari
Also, among the signs of the Hour is the occurrence of three major landslides. The Prophet, sal-lal-laahu-alaihi-wa-sallam, when mentioning the ten signs of the Day of Judgement said: “… and three major landslides, one in the East, one in the West and one in the Arabic peninsula…”
Edited :20th April 2013
- see page 4’s image credits